2.11.2009

ADA AHRONI. Presidenta de IFLAC

Dear Friends,

Ada Aharoni is an Israeli and International writer, poet and professor. She was born in Cairo and became a refugee when her family
had to leave Egypt. She lives in Haifa, and is President of IFLAC: PAVE PEACE, the International Forum for Literature and Culture
of Peace. She writes in Hebrew and English, and her works have been translated into French, Arabic and17 other languages. Ada
Aharoni sent a letter and the poem "From Haifa to Near Faraway Cairo to President Sadat in 1977. This poem prompted Pres. Sadat to
say, in his November 1977 address to the Israeli parlaiment (Knesset): "Let us make the poem a reality." Here is the poem below, as
well as another of Ada's moving poems: "Peace Is A Woman and A Mother."
Best regards,

Michael

---

Ada Aharoni sent her poem "From Haifa to Near Faraway Cairo" to President Sadat, and her lines prompted him to say in November 1977
at the Knesset: "let's make the poem a reality." -- The American Press Association

Ada Aharoni's collection of poems YOU AND I CAN SAVE THE WORLD , is a fascinating book, sensitive and moving, covering a wide range
of meaningful subjects. -- Harper'Weekly
FROM HAIFA TO NEAR FARAWAY CAIRO

I recall the velvet sugar-cane juice
we drank together
with the smooth blue air
under the open skies,
the sunflower seeds
we cracked together with jokes echoing laughter in the sun.
How sweet the roasted sweet-potatoes
were in those rainbow days
of pretty sugar dolls.

But unlike you dear Kadreya,
Friend of my sunny schooldays,
I was told that I was just
a visiting guest
though born in the land of the Nile.
Ordered by Egypt my Jewish wings
to spread
to search for a new nest,
I have found it on Mount Carmel
and here I mean to stay.

My foremost wish today
is our soldier sons
to bathe
in the peaceful rays
their mothers wove
when younger than they
in the near faraway rainbow days.


Peace Is A Woman and a Mother

By Ada Aharoni

How do you know
peace is a woman?
I know, for
I met her yesterday
on my winding way
to the world's fare.
She had such a sorrowful face
just like a golden flower faded
before her prime.

I asked her why
she was so sad?
She told me her baby
was killed in Auschwitz,
her daughter in Hiroshima
and her sons in Vietnam,
Ireland, Israel, Lebanon, Palestine
Bosnia, Rwanda and Chechnya.

All the rest of her children, she said,
are on the nuclear
black-list of the dead ,
all the rest, unless
the whole world understands --
that peace is a woman

A thousand candles then lit
in her starry eyes, and I saw --
Peace is indeed a pregnant woman,
Peace is a mother.

No hay comentarios: